PROTECTING AN ANCIENT RARE BREED
Proud mums and offspring 2013
(Breeding since 2012)
TEN beautiful lambs, 2017
Available July onwards
ABOUT SOAYS - THINKING OF KEEPING THEM?
FACTS AND TIPS:-
FACTS AND TIPS:-
- WHERE? - a big garden will do, PROVIDED it is well fenced and free from poisonous plants
- WHY? - they are "Ovine weed-killers" - but, be warned - they will eat EVERYTHING! - including trees and bark
- Lamb without difficulty - mostly - often at Dawn, in the snow
- self-shed fleece - sometimes a little help appreciated - can be sheared
- EXCELLENT MOTHERS!
- WHAT? - you need to register with Animal Health etc - for compliance
- can be bucket and halter / harness trained
- need shelter - from rain and sun
- FOR PROFIT? no!
- Dual ear tags required by Law
- one of oldest breeds in the world - thought to have been brought to the Scottish Hebridean Islands by the Vikings
- RBST Watchlist "at risk" category, ie up to 1500 RBST registered breeding ewes in UK, 2016
- EAT? grass, weeds, and some careful feed supplement, cereals and raw root and other vegetables; hay and a bit of molasses
- Copper and protein intolerant - DO NOT FEED PRODUCTS suited to commercial breeds
- Dosing and annual treatments - be advised by vet
- Ticks are fatal, and if in a tick area, a prescribed application will be essential
- regular teeth, feet and sample checks - for eg - worms and fluke - essential
- CATCHING: "enticement" is the method of preference - as Soays' primitive instinct is to "scatter" when under threat, not to "Flock"
- HABITS: climb, jump; burrow and butt - good fences necessary!
- Rams can be aggressive, especially during Tupping season
- Soays have a highly attuned sense of smell, and 280 degree vision
- RBST registration is useful if stock are bought for breeding
- LAMBS: twins aren't uncommon in lowland areas; and even triplets : arrive April / May
- SIZE: one of the smaller breeds: adult weights about 35 - 50 KGs
- There's a dedicated Breed Society - for Soay and Borerays - take a look - www.soaysheep.org
- ANY QUESTIONS? - go to our "Contacts" form on our "Contact us" page.........
- Beautiful lambs available for sale, July / August 2017 onwards
- ENQUIRE NOW